Monday, November 25, 2013

Christmas Wars




     There used to be a tacit agreement that people didn't turn on their outdoor Christmas lights until at least the day after Thanksgiving.  And Black Friday used to start on a Friday.  Not so anymore. 

     Ever since "The War On Christmas" was declared, I began to wonder if there really was such an assault going on in the Untied States [spelling error on purpose].  My personal conclusion is that any wars on Christmas don't exist here.

     If someone wishes me a "Bless-ed Christmas" or says "God bless you" to me after a healthy sneeze, my personhood is not diminished.  If a store clerk or associate is directed to say "Merry Christmas" to me, I do not feel personally assaulted. 

     There is no war on Christmas here.  There are heated disagreements over the part that religion should play in the public forum and in public schools.  Those who don't like what is happening in our public schools should lobby to change the Lemon Test.  Or better yet, homeschool their children or send their children to a non-public school of their choice.

radical sapphoq says: Disagreement over these things should not be an attack on others or differing beliefs and opinions.  If we cannot hold a rational discourse over the stuff that separates us, how are we ever going to find what unites us? 

No comments: