Sunday, January 15, 2012

An Open Letter to Jessica Ahlquist

Dear Jessica Ahlquist,

     Thank you for standing up for our Constitution-- and the Separation of Church and State.  I read about your case on Daylight Atheism.  I also found the Rhode Island Supreme Court Decision at http://www2.turnto10.com/mgmedia/file/445/cranston-prayer-banner-ruling/
   
     I salute your bravery.  In my opinion, it is far easier to be an activist away from one's own community than it is in one's own "backyard."  I have found that out through my own experiences with participating in Queer Nation actions in other cities vs. writing a letter to the editor of my hometown newspaper.

     I've searched the Internet and have read through all of the responses that I found generated by the court's decision.  Sadly, I am not amazed by hatred and verbal abuse contained in some number of those responses.  As you well know, bullying is not confined to high school students.  The enthusiastic expression of a sincerely held religious belief is easily distinguishable from threats to "mess you up."

     I wish you the very best in your future endeavors,

     radical sapphoq



No comments: