Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston Marathon Bombings



The news coming out of Boston-- specifically the area around the Boston Marathon-- today is not good. A couple of explosions happened near the finish line earlier today.  Three people are now confirmed dead according to a live feed which can be found here:
http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/Explosions-at-Boston-Marathon-203075261.htmlLooks like 132 people have been injured and 16 or 17 remain in critical condition.  Obama said some stuff, the F.B.I. is treating the incident as a terrorist event [whether the terrorists are from the U.S. or from away is not now known], a bunch of cities internationally have tightened up security, and things are a real mess.  There are reports of missing arms and missing legs, and possibly even a few people having to have traumatic leg amputations on the scene in first aid tents.  I'm not there so I don't know.  Folks who are there say that text messages are working better than cellular phone calls right now.  Also some people are able to tweet via their cells.  The pictures and vids are pretty graphic which equals bloody and upsetting.

Big Brother Google has done something that I think is somewhat helpful.  People looking for information on their loved ones can go to this here site: http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/query?error=error&query=&role=seek .  Folks who have information on people there are also encouraged to go to the same Google site and submit it.

The F.B.I. has a tip line which is at: 800-CALL-FBI or
(800-225-5324), prompt #3.  Besides information which may lead to suspects, the F.B.I. is also interested in photos and videos taken before, during, and after the two bombs went off.

There is also this separate tip line: 1-800-494-TIPS if anyone has any information regarding possible suspects.  I don't know who is running that one. 

radical sapphoq says:  There are already speculations about wars and stuff like that sprinkled throughout the comments of the news sites covering the Boyleston Street bombing today in Boston.  I feel badly for the victims and their loved ones.  The tendency does exist to want to immediately head over to the scene-- be it Boston or New Orleans, Oklahoma City or New York City-- in order to volunteer services.  While it is a noble thought, it's probably better to stay put.  
     Some folks will pray.  Some will arrange to donate some blood or money.  A few will do both.  Some will do nothing.
     I remember some time ago when Spain had a bomb incident I think it was near a train station.  And London had a bus bombing.  What I do remember is someone saying that at some point in the unknown future that we Americans will find that we are living in the bad neighborhood.  I don't know who said it.  I wasn't able to locate the quote.  But I will keep looking for it.  Yeah, I think we are the ones living in the bad neighborhood now.   

No comments: