Monday, April 03, 2006

"BAD" WORDS!!! or, what's in a name


Names are very powerful things. Until we can give a name to the source of our problems or perceived problems, we cannot hope for any realistic change. Until we can name ourselves for who we are, we cannot truly celebrate ourselves. Many of us stumbled through life or wasted time searching for elusive treasures and we didn't know that what we were seeking was buried deep inside of our most inner selves. Naming what "it" is creates a source of power-- a source of connection from which meaning can then spring.


When I first named myself an addict; as a human being who had addiction, I did not know anything about true power. I knew about control. I knew about the controlling techniques of others around me. I had to learn power. I had to become teachable, a student of power. As I came into my own recovery, I began to understand that the notion that I am "powerless over everything" is a damming lie.


When I first stumbled innocently onto the Yahole 360 world, I knew about censorship issues on the internet but for a time I was blissfully unaware of the censorship issues being experienced by other adult bloggers here. In the days to follow, I had to become willing to have my awareness heightened. I was outraged by Yahole's practice of yanking blogs and photos. In response, I joined the Electronic Frontier Foundation, specifically because the EFF addresses bloggers' rights.


I did write Yahole a letter requesting that 360 bloggers be allowed to have a splash page. I thought a splash page was a better option than the yanking of the intellectual property of my blogger buddies. That letter went unanswered to date.


I do belong to a bisexual network Yahole e-group which is not a "pick-up" group. There is a group file that goes out twice a month reminding us of a bisexual brunch. Occasionally someone will forward an article of interest or post something to the other group members. In a land of controversy, this particular group is no big shakes.


Recently, I did notice that access to the home page of said group is now blocked by a splash page in which the user has to indicate by pushing the "I accept" button that the user is of adult age and willing to view adult material. This is laughable. The only thing that can possibly be construed to be 'objectionable' about our group is the use of the word BISEXUAL in the title.


After checking with the group owner, I was able to ascertain that said splash page came unbidden and unannounced. It was not something that the owner requested or ordered. In fact, the owner did not know of its' existence until I told her.

Names are powerful. Because the name "bisexual" has power, a response was generated by an outsider [Yahole] to attempt to put the reins on or control that power.


BISEXUAL. BISEXUAL. BISEXUAL.


I might just have to go wash my mouth out with soap now.

No comments: